Sunday 31 July 2011

Switching Gears in the Red Velvet Car



I say switching gears because this is often what this 13th studio release from Heart does, it presents us with a few different sounds and styles throughout.  And for me that’s the appeal of this strong record from the band.  I never get tired or bored of the same thing over and over again.  It opens up with a strong track, There You Go, which has a bit of an upbeat groovy sound to it with a steady acoustic guitar riff taking us through.  Next up we switch gears for a hard hitting rock track called WTF which fits very well with the band’s 70’s classics Magic Man, Barracuda and Crazy On You.  Switch gears again and we are listening to a slow and sultry title track.

On this record we are hearing a bit of hard rock, a touch of folk, and a dash of blues.  Anne’s vocals sound as great as ever as well as the guitar work from sister Nancy.  Even though there are different sounds and styles presented it all blends together nicely making for a great overall appeal.  As noted, there is a touch of hard rock here, but this album as a whole is on the mellower side.  But if you are in the mood to wind down and drift off these songs are great.

There are songs I like better than others on here but I can play this one from start to finish, no filler.

Grade:  A –
Favourite tracks:  WTF, Hey You, Queen City, Sunflower

1 comment:

  1. A good review on the album! You're right it's a little bit of everything. Being a HUGE fan of the early Heart, I was excited to hear them go back to some of folksy acoustic stuff that I fell in love with. It's one of their better albums...I'm hoping it will revitalize their career a bit.

    My review of the album.

    ReplyDelete