Wednesday 26 October 2011

Metallica and Lou Reed thoughts...well not on the music.

Wow....it’s been a while since an update.  Thought I would take a few minutes to weigh in on the new Metallica/Lou Reed project.  I believe it’s available to listen to in its entirety online and will be available for purchase soon.  Before I go on, I haven’t heard it yet, not a single note. But I have read a great amount of reaction to this upcoming release and most of it very negative.
I have no problem with someone listening to this, saying they don’t like it, and sharing their opinion.  But many have been condemning Metallica for quite some time now just for doing this.  I don’t get it.  I don’t know if I will like this or not, but I am looking forward to hearing it.  And I do respect Metallica for daring to do something different and not just sticking to the same heavy metal formula that they have for years, not that there is anything wrong with that.  I think it marks the measure of a true artist who dares to go out on a limb, step outside their element and paint a completely different scene. 
Many (not all) metal enthusiasts subscribe to the “death to all but metal” school of thought and the mere mention of these legends stepping outside of the genre is sacrilege to them.  Just because they are trying something different doesn’t mean they won’t be back doing what they do best with another excellent metal album in time I am sure.  So I say if it doesn’t appeal to you, let them (the band) have their fun and wait for them to return.  Some are far too harsh claiming they’ve lost respect and will never support the band again.  Really?
I for one will be checking it out.  My curiosity is certainly peaked.  I may hate it, I may love it.  It doesn’t matter, as with all new music I will still enjoying spinning it at least once and offering up some thoughts.  Stay tuned...have a Happy Halloween everyone!!

2 comments:

  1. My hats off to any musician whom steps out of their boundaries to try anything new...

    Rock and roll would be boring if it that didn't happen. Take for example-Robert Plant. We all know his legacy as the frontman for the legendary Led Zeppelin. His has turned down offers in millions to reunite with the former band, yet he chooses to work with country fiddler/singer Allison Krauss with very respectable results. I LOVED it!

    Not all things work out as planned. Ian Gillin's venture with Black Sabbath was a bust. I hated Ozzy Osbourne's latest album, Scream, when he did the techno thing.

    Then again, many bands like the Scorpions, Dokken, and Great White play it safe by rehashing the same material over and over again. It gets old after awhile...

    Some bands like U2 and REM reinvent themselves. Taking risks. Some worked-others didn't. Others just evolved-like Rush. These bands test the hands of time proving to be worthy of being respectable musicians.

    As for Metallica teaming with Lou Reed...I'm all for it! Metallica has taken risks before, with panned results. Weather pass or fail, they'll have my respect...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said.....great examples too!! As always...thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete