Thursday 15 September 2011

Theory of a Deadman's The Truth Is (Review)


The last few records I have reviewed on this blog have been all old school.  It was time to check out something that was released this year so I turned to Theory of a Deadman’s latest effort, The Truth Is.
This is their forth release and the first one I have purchased.  Up to now I have been tempted to check out their music, I have heard some of their songs on the radio.  Some I have liked and others I was not too keen on.  I was in the mood for some no nonsense rock and roll and something new so it was time to try this band out. 
Well, if it’s quantity you like you certainly get your money’s worth here with 19 tracks if you get the album only bonus tracks.  If not you are getting 12 songs in total.  And in my opinion the quality is great too with the album fully entertaining me from start to finish.  The music itself is certainly straight up rock and roll and its fun!  I have used fun to describe recent albums like Night Ranger’s latest and Def Leppard’s Mirrorball.  But it is a different kind of fun, it’s a little heavier for the most part but still melodic.  Lyrically it is definitely the most fun record I have heard in a while.  Songs like Lowlife, The Bitch Came Back, Gentlemen and The Truth Is (I lied About Everything) are filled with humorous themes, clever lyrics and catchy guitar riffs.  The parental advisory label is well earned here with some of the themes and plenty of F bombs dropped throughout, all in good humour.
There are also songs like Can’t Get You Out of my Head, a solid power ballad.  In addition to this tune there are also tracks like Easy to Love You and Love is Hell to fit into the power ballad category.  Although I am not sure if with lyrics such as “Love is hell, love is shit ....” would make the song qualify as a ballad.  You also get additional acoustic versions of Can’t Get You Out of my Head and Easy to Love You included in the bonus tracks. 
In addition to the songs I have mentioned all the rest in between work for me too.  Songs like Hurricane, When We Were Men and Drag Me to Hell take a break from the humour and offer more serious themes and lyrics with great the power chords and riffs continuing.
So the end result here is I am glad I purchased Theory of a Deadman.  I may even try out some of their previous work.  I have read mixed reviews on The Truth Is, but I like it and I can’t really compare it to their earlier albums.  I have been having fun with this one for a while now and the truth is...this is good rock and roll.  Ha, lame ending....see ya next time!
Grade A
Favourite Tracks:  Lowlife, The Truth Is (I lied About Everything), Hurricane   

No comments:

Post a Comment