Sunday 25 September 2011

Thoughts on the REM Split


The whole REM breakup thing troubles me a bit.  I did enjoy REM’s music over the years.  I was never a fanatical fan, but I own a few of their CDs and understand their significance and why many people adore them.   That is not what troubles me however.  This band has been together for 31 years.  For the most part they have had the same line up at its core, continued to be successful and make good music.  So why put it out there that you are split?  It just doesn’t make sense.  Why not just say you are currently not active and there are no current plans to tour or record?    If you come back again great, if not, then fine.  Heck, even use the word retirement.  But using the words like “broke up” and “split” after a 31 year legacy just doesn’t seem right to me. 
Maybe I am just agonizing over semantics and word choice.  Maybe there is the inevitable reunion tour in 5 years.  In any event, congrats to REM on 31 years and good luck on whatever is next, even a reunion tour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment