Friday 12 August 2011

RIP Jani Lane

There are many tributes all over today for the passing of former Warrant front man Jani Lane at the age of 47.  Like most I was first introduced to Lane in 1989 when Warrant released their debut album Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich.  I was vacationing in Florida at the time and saw the video for Down Boys on MTV and was instantly hooked.  I left our hotel room walked to a store and bought the CD.  This album turned out to be one of my favourites from the opening 32 Pennies, to the first single Down Boys, the power ballads Heaven and Some Times She Cries and the hard rockin’ title track.   The disc got lot of play from me and continues to be one my favourites from that era, an all round fun feel to it.
 
Watching the videos at the time it was obvious that Lane was a great performer and front man.  He had the look, the moves and the voice.  Although I never embraced any of Warrant’s releases as much as their debut I continued to follow their career, including Lane’s solo efforts. 

Unfortunately we have heard the last of Lane's musical efforts.  Condolences extended to family, friends and band mates. 


Jani Lane and Warrent music video for Down Boys. 
Long live the spirit of the 80's and the spirit of Jani Lane
and others who have left us too soon.

2 comments:

  1. Goddamn I wish I had the chance to live in the 80's ! Awesome post man R.I.P. Jani

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 80s were a special time, the music lives on!!

    ReplyDelete