Friday 19 August 2011

What a Rush!

Turning the clock back on two classic albums from a classic band.

After spinning 1975’s Welcome to my Nightmare by Alice Cooper for a few listens I got inspired to stay in that decade and moved on to Rush’s 2112 also released in 1975, which further inspired me to stay with the band and spend some time with 1981’s Moving Pictures.

Hailing from my homeland Canada, the trio of musicians have been a mainstay in the business for over 30 years.  On a recent poll by Rolling Stone magazine they were voted the number one prog rock band of all time by a landslide.  Rush continues to have an allegiance of loyal fans and they continue to tour the world to large crowds putting off electrifying performances. 


The album 2112 is their forth release and a concept album, sort of.  It opens with a twenty plus minute track titled 2112.  This is the concept piece of the album.  It is broken down into seven parts each with its own subtitle.  The song tells the story of a futuristic world ruled by the priests of Syrinx where there is no music, among other things.  The protagonist of the story finds a guitar, learns to play it and presents it to the priests hoping for change. 

The song is certainly one of my favourites.  Musically it moves in many different directions and I have always enjoyed the story written by lyricist and drummer for the band, Neil Peart.  One of my favourite parts of the song is when vocalist Geddy Lee is singing in the voice of two different characters, the protagonist who has found the guitar and the priest who quickly dismisses and condemns the discovery.  Geddy sings the part of the guitar’s discoverer in a more mild tone and then switches to his trademark high pitched shrill as the priest continues to condemn the finding.  This musical conversation goes back and forth for some time.

After the opening number is complete there are five additional stand alone tracks that do not relate to the concept of the opening number.  Each one is a solid Rush song in its own right.  The album clocks in at just under 40 minutes.


Next up is 1981’s Moving Pictures, their most successful release to date.  It contains only 7 songs and in total also clocks in under 40 minutes .  They don’t make them like this anymore.  I would much rather hear an album with less songs if they are all stellar.  I like the days of 10 songs per album.  I guess as time moves on I am getting more and more old school all the time.  I digress…

Back to Moving Pictures.  The album opens with arguably their most well known song, Tom Sawyer.  It keeps moving from there with my favourite song on the album called Red Barchette.  Although not an epic piece like 2112's Overture, Red Barchette has plenty of imagery created by the songs lyrics and music and also tells the strory of a futuristic world where some vehicles have been outlawed.  The next track shows off the band's musicianship again with a great instrumental number called YYZ.  Next up is another of their signature and well known songs, Limelight.  There is also another lengthy piece next, clocking in at called The Camera Eye.  I love the lengthy epic songs that we don’t see enough of anymore either.  The album closes out with two final numbers, Witch Hunt and Vital Signs

The album, like 2112 showcases the talents of the band, lyrically and musically.  On their most recent tour Moving Pictures was played in its entirety.  I would love to see the same for 2112 sometime too.  Both are fantastic records but I will give the slight edge to 2112.   

2112
Grade:  A +
Favourite Tracks:  Hard to pick one here, but all of the 2112 track, A Passage to Bangkok and Lessons.

Moving Pictures
Grade A
Favourite Tracks: YYZ, Red Barchette and The Camera Eye.

Although I select favourtite tracks here I recommend setting aside some time and playing each of these albums from start to finish. 

6 comments:

  1. The album that tuned me onto Rush was 2112. That was back in the late '70's when I was a huge KISS fan. I was so impressed with their talent and creativity that I became a devoted Rush fan. I remember getting Moving Pictures when it came out. "Tom Sawyer" barely hit the airwaves. Unbelievable! Especially "The Camera Eye".

    Came 1982, I saw Rush for the first time during the New World Tour. Saw them again in 1990 for the Presto Tour and last summer during the Time Machine Tour. Rush is definitely a band to see in concert!

    Eventually I obtained the entire Rush collection along with a dozen bootlegs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been a long time fan and I have never seen them play live!! I keep hearing about how awesome they in concert are and am waiting for my next opportunity. They are on my list of must see concerts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just went and bought 2112 and wow.. Overture is amazing! So epic. Thanks man

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome!! Overture is great I am glad you checked it out and like it!! Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Used to play 2112 (the song) from beginning to end on the drums. Neal Peart is the main reason I play the way I do. I have practiced at one point and time every song from Moving Pictures except Witch Hunt. Both are amazing albums but I must confess A Farewell to Kings remains my favorite Rush album.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Farewell to Kings is one I should get reacquainted with as well. Neal Peart is awesome!

    ReplyDelete