Sunday 14 August 2011

Welcome to My Nightmare



Anticipating Alice Cooper’s September release Welcome 2 My Nightmare got me in the mood to fire up the original 1975 release Welcome to my Nightmare.  I never actually owned a copy of this album until a couple of years ago.  I have followed Alice Cooper’s career and being an 80s teenager the first album I ever owned by Cooper was 1986’s Constrictor.  It contained the single He’s Back (the Man Behind the Mask) which was featured in Friday the 13th Part VI:  Jason Lives.      

I enjoyed this album and picked up some other Alice Cooper recordings, but a couple of years ago when perusing a used CD store I cam across 1975’s Welcome to my Nightmare.  I went home, lay back with my head phones on and listened to it from start to finish.  I had heard most, if not all the songs before, but this was the first time I listened to the concept album in its entirety in one sitting.  I have several times since and it very quickly became a favourite of mine.  In addition to being a concept album centering around the tribulations of a character named Steven it has some great Alice Cooper music.

There are different styles, instruments and sounds throughout the album.  It makes for a very intriguing and enjoyable listen.  Your hard rockers are on here with tracks such as Devil’s Food, Black Widow and Cold Ethyl.  Your ballads are there including the well known Only Women Bleed.  Then are your strange and quirky songs with that B-movie or haunted house sounding keyboards such as Steven.  You will also hear horn sections and other assortments of sounds and effects including a spoken word narration from Vincent Price.  Alice himself changes his voice at times singing in a high pitched creepy childlike voice assuming the role of Steven. 

All in all there is never a dull moment on the record.  I enjoy listening to the music, the concept and the imagery Alice creates.  Of everything I’ve heard from Alice Cooper this one is far and above my favourite. 

Grade:  A +

Favourite Tracks:  Hard to pick but I will go with Devil’s Food, Black Widow and Department of Youth.  But for me this album is best enjoyed as a complete package.

No comments:

Post a Comment