Thursday 14 July 2011

My Plea to Van Halen!




There’s talk of a brand new Van Halen album with David Lee Roth, their first full length recording with him in 27 years, and a tour to boot.  I look forward to hearing the album and hopefully seeing the tour. 

But here’s my plea to Van Halen.  Are you listening Eddie?  Good.  Here it goes.

You have a great rock band!  You know that.  No.  You have an awesome and influential rock band with an allegiance of fans!  You know that.  You have two distinct eras in your band’s career with two different vocalists, the David Lee Roth years and the Sammy Hagar years.  Both were very successful with millions of albums sold.  You know all that! 

Here is what I want.  Get the following people in one room together:

(You) Eddie Van Halen
Alex Van Halen
Michael Anthony
Sammy Hagar
David Lee Roth

You are all grown men.  Let’s lay it on the line and work it all out.  Let’s get past the differences, riffs, insults and anything else that needs to go under the bridge.  Now, in the name of show business, in the name of rock and roll, plan the following tour.

Van Halen hits the stage and plays a set with David Lee Roth.  A brief intermission and they return to do another complete set with Sammy Hagar.  Wait.  There’s more.  We can’t forget about that one lone album (Van Halen III) when Extreme vocalist Gary Cherone joined the band on the mic.  Well, Extreme had a few solid albums and had some success themselves, so why not get that band together and have them be the opening act.  Now we are all under the one roof for an awesome night of rock and roll, an awesome night of Van Halen!

Wait.  Not done yet.  Let’s review.  Extreme has opened.  Then keeping with the chronological history of the band David Lee Roth provided the vocals for the first set.  Brief break and another set with Sammy Hagar.  Now we need an encore.  Let’s bring back Gary Cherone to sing a track off Van Halen III so everything is represented.  Then he passes the mic off to Dave who returns to sing another, who then passes it off to Sammy to sing again.  Now end it all off with a song that all three vocalists can perform on, maybe a cover. 

Tell me that wouldn’t be one awesome night and one massively successful tour.  It would be one that would go down in history, the rock event of the decade for sure. 

Ok Eddie.  I know you’re reading J.   Make the call!  See you at the show!

4 comments:

  1. Wow. That is quite a wish list. I read Sammy Hagar's book and David Lee Roth was a total jerk to Sammy. David would never let anyone follow him, he HAS to be the star. But it would be a great concert though. I don't think Eddie will kick his son out now that he is in. It was hard for me to leave the band I was in with my dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I am dreaming here and it is probably one of the most unlikely events to ever happen in rock. You never know I suppose - it is show business after all. haha. I have Sammy Hagar's book too but haven't read it yet. Thanks for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, that's not a bad idea...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant idea. Okay, we all know it's never going to happen in a million years but.... that's what I said about DLR re-joining the band for the last 25 years, so who knows?

    ReplyDelete