Wednesday 20 July 2011

Night Ranger's Somewhere in California




I was craving some new music.  I still thoroughly enjoy purchasing a new album and listening to it from beginning to end, one of life’s simple pleasures.  I am still a bit old school like that.  I do use itunes sometimes, but still often go for the complete recording, be it in disc or digital format. 

I was perusing the many other excellent blogs and sites as listed to the right and made some selections.  This particular recommendation came from the Hard Rock Hideout. It was an interesting choice for me; I never in my life purchased a Night Ranger recording.  For the most part I am only familiar with their singles in the eighties.  I was in the mood for some melodic hard rock, nothing too serious and nothing I had to put a great amount of thought or effort into.  It is summer and I am on holidays.  This disc fits the bill very well and I don’t mean that disrespectfully. 

It has a bit of an eighties feel to it and it’s definitely hard rock for the most part.  In fact, it is a bit more hard rock that I expected a Night Ranger disc to be.  Although the keyboards are a part of this band’s sound, it’s the guitar riffs and big choruses that make many of the songs infectious.   

It starts off with a great lead off track, Growing’ up in California, and I picture people in convertibles driving around with the top down and this one cranked.  That is the tone throughout much of the album.  The second song, Lay it on Me, is probably the heaviest and one of my favourites.  And the upbeat fun natured songs continue from there with another of my favourite tracks, Bye Bye Baby (Not Tonight).  It slows down with a decent ballad on the fifth track with a song called Time of our Lives. It’s not a real slow ballad having more of a mid tempo pace.

I must admit at around track 8 or 9 (there are 11 songs in total) I start to get a little bored.  Maybe it's because it’s all starting to sound alike, or maybe the songs are not as strong.  I am not sure yet.  I should put the theory to the test and play the songs in reverse order, but either way I am really enjoying this disc! 

One great thing about this circle of blogs that I visit is listening to (or reading) what others have to say, others who also share a passion for music and for rock and roll in particular.  I probably would have never considered buying a Night Ranger album simply because over their 30 year career they haven’t found their way into my collection before now.  It’s funny how the seasons affect my listening mood sometimes; I was in the mood for some fun summer rock.  By reading Hard Rock Hideout’s review I had a very good idea that is what I was getting and it was exactly that.  Thanks again.

Grade: B 

Favourite tracks:  Growing up in California, Lay it on Me, Bye Bye Baby (not tonight),  No Time to Lose Ya

No comments:

Post a Comment