Friday 8 July 2011

Taking a Ride on the Wildside (Motley Crue Concert Review, June 2011)


I never got many great shots during the concert, but here is one
of the band and crew taking a bow at the end of the show.

We had just finished listening to a great set from The New York Dolls and high energy performance from Poison and the headliners, Motley Crue, were yet to take the stage.  We were able to watch the crew get ready for Poison’s set, but not this time.  As soon as Poison’s stage was being disassembled a large white curtain was dropped and whatever was happening behind was a mystery. 

The show got off to a strange start.  Normally there is some warning or indication that the moment of the band’s entrance is near.  Not this time.  My wife and I were still seated and chatting when what sounded like a large gun shot was fired, the white curtain dropped and we were treated to the opening chords of Wildside from the Girls Girls Girls album.  An elaborate stage set appeared.  Drummer Tommy Lee was elevated behind the band.  Behind him was a large circular screen which was used for various images and tricks throughout the night.  The stage set extended up above all of this too.  There were stairs which vocalist Vince Neil was working his way down over as the rest of the boys were playing the opening riffs of the opening number.  There were platforms above which currently had two dancing girls who were also occasional background singers.  Far on the top there were smaller screens displaying various messages throughout the night. 

The visual appeal of this show continued.  There were flaming pentagrams, plenty of fireworks and the two girls appeared off and on throughout the night to take part, and it was even a little theatrical at times.  We were treated to all the songs and staples you would expect to hear at a Motley Crue concert, which was great for me being it was my first time seeing them.  I was also pleased to hear a couple extra songs off the Shout at the Devil album in addition to the standard title track and Looks That Kill.  They also threw in Too Young to Fall in Love and 10 Seconds to Love.  Overall, I wouldn’t have changed a thing in the setlist.

Vince addressed the crowd a few times throughout the evening thanking everyone for 30 years.  But he wasn’t the only one.  Tommy Lee and bassist Nikki Sixx also had a turn.  Tommy Lee actually had two.  First wasn’t too long into the show when he came down from his drumset and addressed us before playing the piano and giving us the song Home Sweet Home from the Theatre of Pain record.  He again had a few words later during the most unique drum solo I have ever seen. 

Tommy’s drumset was in the center of a round circular rollercoaster formation.  He began to play and began to circle round and round and upside down.  He then stopped, selected a willing audience participant and strapped her in next to them and played some more with both of them now upside down.

Bassist Nikki Sixx also had a turn addressing us, or as he called it, taking us to the church of Motley Crue.  He appeared alone on stage and asked everyone to sit down, or "sit the f*** down" because church is in session.  He also appeared humble and thankful to be sharing the stage with his bandmates whom he acknowledged one at a time.  He then apologized for all the "sick shit" they were going to do over the next 15 or 20 minutes.  He ordered us to our feet again, we obeyed, and the show continued. 

There wasn’t really anymore ‘sick shit’ compared to what we have seen already.  More fireworks, explosions and dancing girls.  At one point the two girls appeared on stage with flame throwers.  They continued to rock hard until the final number of the night, Kickstart My Heart from the Dr. Feelgood album was played.   Before the band and crew took their final bow of the night four buckets of blood were tossed into the first few rows of the crowd.  The band, the girls, and crew lined up and took a bow.  The crew left the stage and the four bandmates took one more bow and walked off.  No encore.  Motley Crew doesn’t do them.  But I have to say I was completely satisfied!

As I said in an earlier post it was a rock and roll circus to the max.  I loved it!  I actually walked away thinking how will that ever be topped.  I know I will see more great concerts, but for an in your face rock and roll spectacle that one will be very hard to beat.  

Motley Crue Setlist
Wildside, Saints of Los Angeles, Live Wire, Shout at the Devil, Same Ol'Situation (S.O.S.), Primal Scream, Home Sweet Home, Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away), (Tommy Lee Drum solo), (Mick Mars Guitar solo), Looks That Kill, Dr. Feelgood, Too Young to Fall in Love, 10 Seconds to Love, Girls Girls Girls, Smokin in the Boys Room, Kickstart My Heart.

2 comments:

  1. I had the same experience for our concert here in Milwaukee. My wife and I went for our 12th anniversary. I had never seen them before and to be honest I am only a casual fan (I am a prog guy) but I had a great time and had to admit that it was one of the best concert I have been to (and I have been to a lot of them). I love the beginning of the show (the sudden start). I thought that was so Motley Crue (not playing by the rules). Overall we had a great time. I was disappointed with Poison's set. why they needed a guitar solo AND a drum solo from guys who are not known for that is beyond me (and I am a drummer).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brett,

    Thanks for stopping by. I enjoyed Poison's set but I agree, I could have done without the two solos as well. I would have rather heard a couple extra songs instead. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete